Tuesday, 26 April 2016

Why People Should Never Settle

During one or two situations in our lives, we sure have settled for something instead of pursuing the better (preferred) option. We got the regular fries instead of ordering the large one. We purchased a pair of sneakers, even though we really wanted a pretty pair of pumps, just because it's more practical. Worse, we have settled for a guy  just because all of our friends already have partners and we're sick of being alone, forgoing that cute officemate we've been crushing on for the past three months.
There's no such thing as 'good enough'. Instead of holding out or waiting for something better, us mortals tend to settle for the things (or people) that are more accessible to us. We often forget the phrase "patience is a virtue" and grab the first thing that comes to us. We should always strive for the best, not better and definitely not good. In every aspect of our lives (whether it's finding a job or finding a partner) we should always choose what we REALLY want rather than taking what's already in front of us. WE HAVE A CHOICE.
If there's one thing that I always tell my friends, it's to never settle. All of us deserve the best in our endeavors, we just have to hold out and wait for the best  (which is surely) out there :)
I'm glad I remained true to this mantra. A month after graduation, I was already bored doing nothing at home aside from eating, sleeping, and reading my friends' tweets & status updates about their respective jobs. Little by little, a green shadow called jealousy slowly crept behind my back. It affected my self esteem, big-time. I was starting to believe that I'm not good/qualified enough (okay I was applying for positions which were totally un-DevCom). After seeking out jobs that weren't really connected with the degree I finished, I finally decided to pursue positions in organizations concerned with development work. It's tough yet funny at the same time since I'd show up in interviews then see fellow DevCom graduates who were also waiting to be interviewed. After a particularly depressing experience (which my mom noticed so she took me shopping just to cheer me up) I geared my ass up, determined to find and get THE job.
So what's the job? Something DevCom related, particularly with my major. You see, I was hell bent on doing either magazine or development work (very contrasting, I know). Since the former didn't really work out, I had my heart set out with the latter. I sent a lot of CVs (like a LOT) and only a handful of the firms responded. Although I was desperate for work, I wasn't desperate enough to go for a job which I know I'm overqualified for (HAHAHA SORRY). Likewise, I didn't want to accept a role which I'm not knowledgeable about. I have my pride. I am a product of one of the best universities here in the country; I've stayed under its wing since I was in high school. I wasn't going to work for just some job. I'm sure it was my ego talking back then but I'm happy that I've waited my sweet time to be able to get the post I know I wanted and I'm confident to perform.
And yes, it was love at first sight. The moment I read the job description I said, "This is the job." And that was it; I sent my CV and waited to see if they will invite me for an interview. After waiting for a grueling five working days (when in between I bought a new dress and bag for the interview I was confident I'm going to get), they finally contacted me and set an interview. And again, that was it. I answered all questions as honestly as I could and sold (figuratively) myself and my skills. My future boss emailed me at around seven in a Monday evening (which I hardly expected) and screamed my lungs out when he offered me the job.
So you see, it is true, true love waits. In my case, I got the job that I was really rooting for. I loved every minute of it despite the challenges and steep learning curve I faced. I enjoyed meeting a lot of people, travelling to new places, and learning about new cultures and sectors. I worked my ass off for that job for three years and three months before I decided to move on and broaden my horizon.

Remember, in all aspects of your our lives, we always have a choice. These choices are available so we can decide which of them fit our values and priorities best. They help us weed out the bad, and set standards for the good, better, and best. So for the interest of self-development and mental health -- never settle.

Cheers,





This entry was originally posted at https://butchbabbles.wordpress.com/2012/07/19/why-people-should-never-settle/ last 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment