Tuesday, 9 February 2016

A Witch's Brew to Writer's Block: The Witch (1/2)

Hola mi amigas,

I have decided to write a new post. Moreso, I am pushing through with it.



It's 18°C at 4 in the morning, and with the power of the hot coffee I drank N hours ago, I am finally writing to ya'll after almost 9 months.

I could've had a baby, for all you know ;) Hah! Well, with everything that's happened, I guess you can say that. (Of course I haven't actually had a baby, because if that was the case I prolly won't even be able to write. ANYWAY!) So much has changed in the world, and so many things have happened to me personally. And I have no idea where to begin.

Needless to say (more), it's been a while, and I just wanted to write to you girls again. To write. (Hopefully more consistently, hehe.)

And this blog was the first thing that came to mind.

I mean, remember how we started this? "Let's start a blog!" "We can write everyday, every other day, once a week, or for months at a time." (The last one being the case at the moment, lol.) But the best part of it was this: "No pressure." #WalangCommitment #LowMaintenanceFriendships

We can write whatever we felt like writing about, and then maybe try to relate it to some form of literature 'cause it's supposed to be a book club~ (And I guess also 'cause it will make us sound more intelligent i.e., sound like we knew what we were actually talking about. Haha.) Plus there's also the comfort of knowing that at least two lolas are listening 'cause it's sort of a letter. A sort of open letter, but one that is actually addressed to two dear friends. *tear*

Okay. Enough reminiscing!



We need that writer's block cure. Let's meet this witch!

So, I'm back. I want to write. It's been a looong writer's block, and of course some form of literature has brought me here. This time, it's in an animated film from Studio Ghibli: Kiki's Delivery Service. Yep, the witch is Kiki!

I know this is one of Kristine's favorites. Case and point:

      

OKAY. Like I said, the Kiki's the witch, not Kristine. Kristine, well, maybe she's the b, but this is her when she dressed up as Kiki in one of their family Halloween costume parties. The resemblance is uncanny, right? Haha.)

Anyway, I just wanted to point that out 'cause (aside from 10pts to Hufflepuff; yes, I just gave myself points for lovingly humiliating mi amiga) this movie is just so good that it can easily be a favorite, and even cure writer's block. Or, at least it cured mine.

See, Kiki is a witch in training. At 13yo, she has to go to a new town or city alone to develop her skills--to become the witch that she is supposed to be. It's a struggle, is what it is, as much as it is in real life. (Real life is probs minus the flying broom and kawaii Studio Ghibli animation, but you know what I mean.)

At one point, *SPOILER ALERT* Kiki loses her powers as a witch. And sometimes that happens to us too. Okay, maybe we're not witches (as much as we want to believe that our Hogwarts letter got lost in the mail), but sometimes we lose that spark. Sometimes we lose that fire within us that makes us do what we want to do; that fire that makes us who who we are.

Okay, so say you're a an artist--a painter, like Ursula in the movie. Maybe you've experienced an artist's block. Maybe you've painted right through it, or maybe you haven't. Well, here's Ursula's advice for you (and witches too!):


...
(ellipses indicating intentional omission of text without altering the original meaning)

You might be confused like Kiki

Of course she didn't mean that you should simply lie around and let your worries eat you whole. I've been there; definitely not advisable. She mentioned all these things about "taking long walks, looking at the scenery, doze off at noon." I know it's cliché stuff you're tired of hearing. But her point is, you don't have to force yourself to do anything. Let it be. "You'll be fine."

Trust in your spirit! That same spirit is what makes me paint, what makes your friend bake, but we each need to find our own inspiration.
-Ursula to Kiki 

Of course, it isn't actually as easy as taking a long walk or taking an afternoon nap. It took a lot of ~Millenial~ things for me to actually come back here and write. I watched a shit ton of movies, binge-watched several TV series in its entirety, scrolled through miles and miles of Facebook posts, met new people, and went through thousands of actual life moments before I got back to writing. 'Course, I'm not saying you have to do what I did, and go through all that. It just. It may take a while. But it will come. Heck, maybe you'll get back to it in a bat of an eye. 


Easier said than done, just don't think about it too much. Then one day, you'll see that you'll be able to fly again, whether on a broom or otherwise.


Kiki's visit with Ursula is only one part of the movie, so if you haven't seen it, don't worry. There's still a lot more to see. And if you have seen it, you know that Ursula's advice leads our heroine to so much more.

So I hope you two lolas will be back writing soon. But you know, #NoPressure. You don't have to do a single thing ;)

Lola loves,
Eiraye

PS.
Since this post doesn't have the recipe to the brew, here's the link for the actual recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment