Monday, 4 May 2015

On Why Truman Capote Could be Your Next Favorite Author

Hello, Eira. Typing from my friend’s apartment.

You would be pleased to know that I have finally retrieved my copy of Breakfast at Tiffany’s from my friend and that I can finally lend it to you as soon as we see each other again. What do you know, we’re actually slowly turning into an actual book club! But my outward enthusiasm about lending you this book is not just about the novella’s literary merit. It’s more on how it could be relatable to you as it was relatable to me during the time I was depressed and couldn’t make sense of or validate how I was feeling (speaking of validating feelings, you know how I’ve been feeling so confused about my ~love life~ recently? Well, after talking to a friend last night over, I regret to say, a pack of cigarettes, I’m finally beginning to find clarity in my situation. But I’ll save this for another blog post or for when we meet again).

Allow me to tease you a little by leaving this photo here:


And a quote that I think we would both agree with:
"It’s a bore, but the answer is good things only happen to you if you’re good. Good? Honest is more what I mean. Not law-type honest--I’d rob a grave, I’d steal two-bits off a dead man’s eyes if I thought it would contribute to the day’s enjoyment--but unto-thyself-type honest. Be anything but a coward, a pretender, an emotional crook, a whore: I’d rather have cancer than a dishonest heart. Which isn’t being pious. Just practical."
Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany's

Have a good week!

Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment