Friday, 8 May 2015

A Song of Ice and Fire

Okay, first of all, this post isn't about Game of Thrones at all. I just wanted to use the reference (is it right to call it that?) because, well, it fits!

I used it, not to compare, but to say that I understand exactly how you feel about Liz Sherman. I related so much with a character who has these internal struggles at a time when I, too, had the same exact struggles. And since I'm a Disney-girl (or so Kristine says), guess who I'm talking about...

Queen Elsa of Arendelle, Frozen (2013)

Yeah, I know Frozen is overrated and every little girl (or boy) has watched it N times. But I actually saw this film before it blew up, and I... cried. I related to it so much, I cried. (And I don't cry, MDD and all.) I mean, it's really good, you HAVE TO ADMIT IT!

So we all know how the story goes. Elsa is the ice queen because she has all these powers that she doesn't know how to deal with. She used to be able to use it playfully, until she realized it can hurt people. In this case, someone she really loved--her sister. So for the longest time, she did was she was told, "Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know." Well, that is until she "can't hold it back anymore." It was time, she "let it go."

Okay, by this time, I'm just quoting lyrics from the most popular song in the movie. But this was also the part of the movie that I could really relate to; it was the part of the movie where I cried.

For the longest time, I had to "conceal" what I was feeling. There is so much stigma towards mental illness that I had to hide it, and I refused to "feel" it, even though I knew so well that there was something not right here. There's something wrong with me.

But for the sake of the people I love, I thought the best thing to do was just hold it in and, well, bear with it. But that was where I was very wrong.

I cannot hide my depression with a smile like Elsa tried to hide her powers with gloves, because at one point or another, you will have to take it off. People will notice; people will know. But what I didn't know back then was, people will understand, especially the ones you love, and those who truly love you back. It was even portrayed in the movie--Anna never gave up her sister Elsa.

But still, I went all Elsa and went off running away to a somewhere no one knew my name (and somewhere cold at that!) so I can find myself. But, just like Elsa realized, running away isn't the best thing to do. She even sings, "I'm such a fool, I can't be free. No escape from the storm inside of me." But then Anna tells her, "You don't have to be afraid."

I can go on and on about this, but we've all seen the movie, we've all been touched by it one way or another, and we all know how it ends. 



Yes, Kristine, we can all seek good counsel in fiction, may it be through fire or ice. And I hope to hear more from Butch too. 😃

Lola loves,
Eiraye

No comments:

Post a Comment