Saturday, 9 May 2015

7 Reasons Why I Think I’m a Textbook Manic Pixie Dream Girl


Everyone loves a manic pixie dream girl. Even before the boom of romcoms and artsy hipster love stories, eccentric pretty girls have been around, frolicking and looking for trouble adventure. The glamorous Holly Golightly is a manic pixie dream girl. Other popular examples include Amélie Poulin of the movie Amélie, Clementine Kruczynski of The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Summer Finn of (500) Days of Summer, Alaska Young of the John Green novel Looking for Alaska, and to name a few. Their spontaneity and wit draw us to them and, at some point in our lives, we kind of wanted to be like that.

Recently, a twitter parody was made dedicated for this archetype of female characters in films. And reading the tweets made me think, I am a manic pixie dream girl! And I was narcissistic enough to come up with a list of reasons why this is so.


I tend to get very impulsive in making major life decisions that sometimes it scares my friends and family. A few years ago, I was in the middle of trying (or not trying at all?) to finish my four-year course when one of my ex-best friends (he’s a guy because, duh?) asked me to get a job in the city and move in with him and our other friends so we could be creative together while earning from our night-shift job. This sounded like a good idea since I didn’t exactly have a direction in life at the time so I went for anything that seemed fun. I applied for the job, and a lot of things happened since then that even led to me talking to a stranger at the street at around 2 am and flying to his hometown miles away a week after we met. And now, I’m back in college to finish what I’ve started. I’m so entangled in my own guts, even I don’t understand myself sometimes.


I like reading comicbooks and apparently a lot of people find that surprising and cool. Like, I don’t know, man. Comics are cool. Why are you still surprised I like this shit? Is it because I’m a girl? Just kidding, I’m not gonna start being all feminazi here. But, you gotta admit, the double standards exist!


I hope there’s a better way of saying this but I flirted with guys a lot before by having deep, meaningful (lol) conversations with them but, for some reason, they didn’t admit to themselves that I was just being a bitch. They thought I was just being my weird and cute and ~fragile~ self that they let me manipulate (?) them. Now before you start throwing the stones at me, let me get some things straight: Flirting is okay. Flirting with a lot of guys when you’re not in a commitment is okay. But flirting with guys with the intention of making them fall madly in love with you and then leaving them hanging, now that’s just mean. And I did that a few times already. It’s not that it was ever my intention to hurt guys. I don’t know. The intimacy was comforting, I guess, but that’s all it ever was, tension. I was lonely, you were there. I didn’t know your heart was gonna be stomped and broken to pieces, it wasn’t part of the plan.


Now that I’m older and more compassionate (I hope), I know better now to set certain boundaries and reconsider how to treat people who I want to keep as just friends. 'Cause it’s not always fun to deal with romantic complications.

Don’t say I didn’t say I didn’t warn ya~


I’m really, really stubborn.
No matter how much my friends and family tell me that this is the safe road, this is the sure road, I would take the other road to prove if that’s true. It also helps that I often don’t think about what other people would say about me and my decisions ‘cause I always think I know what’s best for me. And, it just makes sense, right?


A lot of people say I still look pretty even when I don’t dress up that much. But that doesn’t mean I don’t handpick the items I’m gonna wear! I always choose the ones that look best with my features and with the items I already have. Smart underdressing is what it is. I don’t take my time dressing up and putting makeup because 1) I never had a job that required me to look formal or business-like and 2) most of the places I stay in have a pretty laid-back environment. Also? 3) It’s just my preference! But it doesn’t mean I’d never dress up. I honestly think getting dolled up every now and then is pretty rad. And makeup is kinda just like painting, except, instead of a blank canvas, we color the face.


I’m attached to my coffee. I can't help it that it’s my lifeblood!


I like music by sad, awkward white boy bands. And so do a lot of people?


One of my officemates in my old job told me that the first time she saw me, she thought I looked like some kind of gypsy. Some people told me that I looked like an artist, stoned, or that I reminded them of Summer Finn. I often would like to think of these things as a compliment because that means I'm different, creative, and weird in this overly romanticized way. That I have unconventional ideas that are sensible. Sometimes, though, it makes me feel uneasy 'cause it may also mean that I like running away from things even before I finish them or come up with a resolution to overcome them, just like Holly Golightly did. Or that I dwell in my suffering so much, just like Alaska Young. Or that I when I finally get used to something, I'd have the tendency to feel trapped just like Clementine Kruczynski.

Regardless of how bad it may seem or feel, sometimes you just gotta have to be a manic pixie dream girl. It's that part of everyone when they want to feel something alive and burning about them. Maybe it's this realization that life is short and fleeting that sometimes we go into this state of panic of wanting to seize the day. And you know what?

I think that's perfectly okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment